Due to insufficient funds, the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (EDA) is no longer accepting new applications for the Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Remediation, Upgrade and Closure Program for non-leaking tanks, effective May 3, 2011.
For the leaking tank program co-administered by the EDA and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), the NJDEP will continue to accept new applications, record their date received, and hold them until sufficient funds become available.
Applications that are in-house but incomplete will be reviewed and processed in the order that they were received and held until sufficient funds become available.
Pursuant to NJSA 58:10A-37.4, there are statutory requirements for prioritizing funding of these projects as follows:
- Applications indicating a discharge posing a threat to drinking water, human health or sensitive ecological area;
- Supplemental applications for remediation of discharge from regulated tanks;
- Applications for remediation of discharge from regulated tanks;
- Supplemental applications for remediation of discharge from unregulated tanks;
- Applications for remediation of discharge from unregulated tanks;
- Non-leaking tank applications
Within each of these categories, priority is based on the application filing date and processing dates that EDA staff adheres to when conducting its review.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS DOES NOT AFFECT THE REVIEW OF SUPPLEMENTAL APPROVAL REQUESTS. If you have previously submitted an application that has been approved, any supplemental funding request for that application will be reviewed and processed once a completed application is received by the EDA and held until such time as sufficient funds become available.
The EDA and NJDEP are aware that contractors advertise that state funding is available and tank removal and remediation can be done at no cost to homeowners. Please be advised there has never been a guarantee of funding to any UST Fund applicant.
If you have questions regarding these program changes, please call 866-534-7789.