Up to 75% of approved costs associated with the remediation effort
No financial limitation on the total amount to be recovered
Financial assistance toward approved remediation costs
8 state taxes, including sales, business use and corporate taxes, can be used to reimburse the developer of remediation costs
Reimbursements are based on tax collections; there is no financial limitation on the total amount to be recovered
Non-responsible parties agreeing to undertake and complete the environmental cleanup of the site to the satisfaction of the NJ Department of Environmental Protection
PROGRAM DETAILS: The Brownfields and Contaminated Site Remediation Program was designed to restore key brownfields sites to productive use through incentives making the redevelopment more affordable. This reimbursement program is funded by new sales taxes derived from the businesses that are located on these formerly contaminated and unusable properties.
- Developers are required to attend a pre-application meeting with members from the EDA, Department of Treasury and the Department of Environmental Protection.
- Applicants are required to provide a detailed summary of the development project and the ability to generate new sales taxes.
- To qualify, a developer must be a non-responsible party agreeing to undertake and complete the environmental clean up of the site to the satisfaction of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
- All work on an approved project must be completed under prevailing wage.
Division of Taxation Tax Clearance Certificate required. Certificates may be requested through the State of New Jersey’s Premier Business Services (PBS) portal online.
- Under the Tax & Revenue Center, select Tax Services, then select Business Incentive Tax Clearance.
- If the applicant’s account is in compliance with its tax obligations and no liabilities exist, the Business Incentive Tax Clearance can be printed directly through PBS.
Please note: It is the applicant/client’s responsibility to maintain a current and clear tax clearance certificate. If a current and clear certificate is not evidenced to EDA at time of closing, EDA will not proceed with closing.
*All fees are non-refundable.